The Chinook SJ Light Sport Aircraft
The Chinook SJ is highly modified from the Chinook DR. The body tube is longer, the rear fuselage has been significantly expanded to allow for a larger door and more room for the passenger or flight instructor. The height of the front cabin is greater than other Chinooks with aluminum, lighter, larger seats. The flaperons, elevator and rudder have more area. The wings, jury and lift struts have been significantly strengthened to increase useful load. The tailwheel is larger than other Chinooks.This aircraft comes with two 10 gallon internal aluminum wing tanks and it is possible to install both strut and in-wing tanks as requested by the customer.
Dihedral is added (but not required) to allow stability in low speed flight regimes.
The Chinook SJ aircraft kit comes in two versions, 2 stroke (Rotax 582UL) and 4 stroke (Rotax 912UL). The kit comes complete to build the aircraft, but does not include the engine, engine accessories, propeller and paint.
This model Chinook is designed for the rigors flight training and the extreme bush.
- Length: 22.8 ft
- Height: 6.3 ft
- Wingspan: 32 ft
- Wing Area: 166 sq ft
- Average Empty Weight: 585 lbs
- Gross weight (assuming avg. empty weight): 1,300 lbs
- Useful Load: 700 lbs
- Fuel Capacity: 20 or 30 US gallons
- Design Load Factors: Plus 4, Minus 2 G's
- VNE: 95 MPH
- Average Cruise Speed: 70 MPH
- Rate of Climb: 500 to 900 FPM
- Take Off Distance: 200 ft (about 3 to 4 seconds)
- Range: 300 to 600 average miles
- Service Ceiling: 12,000 ft